What is a Logical Data Warehouse?
A Logical Data Warehouse uses federated queries to query source databases, and other data sources, directly, avoiding the need to copy data into a dedicated data warehouse. The key benefits to this approach over traditional data warehouse solutions are:
- Access the latest version of the data, not a copy from the night before or last weekend
- Easily add new Data Sources and adjust data models on existing data sources much more quickly
- Reduced Infrastructure, decreases the amount of server capacity and storage required because you leverage the source environments.
A Logical Data Warehouse is often called a Virtual Data Warehouse or a Federated Data Warehouse.
To Copy or not to Copy, that is the question
As mentioned there are two main approaches to provide access to data for analytics purposes. Either you copy the data to an analytics or data warehouse platform or you keep the data in place and implement a unified data model and use a set of connectors to query the data directly from their sources.
There is a variation of the latter, mainly OLAP solutions, where pre-calculated query results are materialized into views or multi-dimensional cubes for improving response times for predicted queries.
Solutions that require their own copy of the data, include Exadata, Teradata, Netezza, Hadoop, Snowflake, Amazon Redshift, Azure SQL Data Warehouse and Google BigQuery.
Logical (or Virtual) Data Warehouse vendors include Denodo, Cisco / Composite, Red Hat JBoss Data Virtualisation, DataVirtuality, and SAP Hana.
Similar to Delphix which avoids all the costs and delays in provisioning copies of data, a Logical Data Warehouse (LDW) avoids all the costs and delays in copying data but still needs continuous access to the source data. With Delphix the opportunity exists to build a Logical Data Warehouse on top of Virtual Databases. Why would you want to do that?
Virtual Data Sources for Logical Data Warehouses
Using a logical data warehouse customers may be concerned about performance hits on mission-critical source systems being exposed directly to logical data warehouse queries.
Connecting your logical data warehouse to Delphix Virtual Databases has the following advantages:
- Protect Production, Delphix offloads production by provisioning virtual data copies on separate database servers using shared storage managed by Delphix.
- Enhance Performance, run as many virtual databases as required to spread the load with no storage overhead.
- Enhance Security, Delphix can provision original or secured (consistently masked) virtual database copies avoiding the need and cost of masking an entire warehouse data copy.
- Time Travel, Delphix can provision consistent database sets from any point in time within the configurable retention period, enabling much simpler period to period based analytics over much smaller data sets.
- Reduced Infrastructure, leverage under-utilized but licensed, non-production servers.
You probably already have sufficient licensed database servers to accommodate a data warehouse solution without building or renting additional infrastructure or purchasing additional licenses.
- Ground or Cloud, Delphix can run in your data center or on AWS or Azure. Delphix replication can allow you to synchronize your data in the cloud allowing you to run your Logical Data Warehouse against co-located database copies.
Delphix is an outstanding complement to Logical Data Warehouse solutions, in particular for provisioning high performance, secure, virtual copies of your most important data.